Sunday, October 12, 2008

Sunday was a day for canning. I live in a rural area where many people still can - or at least know how to can. My parents generation canned everything - fruits, vegetables, and meat. I grew up on a farm and my family put up food but I haven't done much in my adult years.
This weekend Mark's mom came over and the three of us canned tomatoes, tom thumb peppers and grape puree. I never realized that canning is such hard work - and I am impressed with all those of you out there who can on a regular basis. Way to go! It makes so much sense and is very enjoyable when done with others.



An important tool.



Tomatoes and the cold packing container (in background).





Tom thumb peppers with artichoke, onions, garlic and oregano
with grape puree in the center (left over from making grape juice).



More tomatoes.


Mark and I also decided to get out the food dehydrator to try making dried tomatoes. It is a learning experience. We lost quite a few slices in our first batch b/c we cut them too thick but we also ended up with quite a few and have a better sense for timing, heat, thickness, etc. And they taste amazing!


The thermometer.



Dried Roma tomatoes.


We've come to the end of the day and I'm tired, but i have such a full sense of accomplishment and satisfaction at all that we did and learned. Hopefully we'll spend at least a few more days canning in the weeks to come.

If you have never canned anything but have wanted to try - go for it! You can do it and if you ask around, I'm sure you'll be able to find someone who has some experience and/or tips. And enjoy the process!

No comments: