Tuesday, December 25, 2007

a poem written by Mary Oliver that i shared with my family
today - Christmas Day.

Mindful

Every day I see or hear
something that more or less
kills me with delight,
that leaves me like a needle
in the haystack of light.
It was what I was born for -
to look, to listen, to lose myself
inside this soft world -
to instruct myself
over and over in joy,
and acclamation.
Nor am I talking about the exceptional,
the fearful, the dreadful,
the very extravagant -
but of the ordinary,
the common, the very drab,
the daily presentations.
Oh, good scholar,
I say to myself,
how can you help but grow wise
with such teachings as these -
the untrimmable light
of the world
the ocean's shine,
the prayers that are made
out of grass?

- Mary Oliver


May each of you meet this day in
such a way as Miss Oliver invites...

with love!

No comments: